Month: August 2020

City of Sunrise to update CodeRED emergency notification system

first_imgThe City of Sunrise is to embark on a revamping of the CodeRED emergency notification system.CodeRed is a high-speed notification system that enables emergency management staff to quickly deliver messages to targeted areas or to the entire city.However, City of Sunrise Fire-Rescue Chief Thomas DiBernardo cautioned that more residents needed to log on to the system as it is only as good as the telephone numbers entered in the system.“If your phone number is not in the database, you cannot receive emergency notifications,” Chief DiBernardo said..The CodeRED system gives individuals and businesses the ability to add their own phone numbers directly into the system’s database. This has to happen for the system to work.Sunrise residents whose phone numbers are already in the CodeRED system will receive a test call on Monday, February 20, after 8:30 a.m., to request updated information..“No one should automatically assume his or her phone number is included,” Chief DiBernardo said, urging all individuals and businesses to visit the City’s website, http://www.sunrisefl.gov, and click on the yellow “Register for CodeRED” banner at the right side of the page..Those without Internet access may call the City’s Emergency Management Office – (954) 746-3479 – from Monday, February 20, through Friday, February 24, 2017, between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. for assistance. Required information includes first and last name, street address (physical address, no P.O. boxes), city, state, ZIP Code, and primary phone number. Additional phone numbers can be entered as well. All businesses should register, as well as all individuals who have unlisted phone numbers, those who changed their phone number or moved within the past year, and those who use their cellular phone or VoIP phone as their primary number..Chief DiBernardo explained, “CodeRED allows geographically-based delivery, which means street addresses are required to make sure emergency notification calls are received by the right individuals in a given situation. The system works for cell phones too, but we need to have an associated street address to provide relevant messages.”The data collected will be used only for emergency notification purposes. Questions should be directed to the Sunrise Emergency Management Office: (954) 746-3475.last_img read more

Haitian authorities close brothels

first_imgHaitian authorities say they have closed down at least 40 brothels and hotels since the launch of a campaign late last month to clamp down on such establishments.Government Commissioner Danton Léger and Chief of the Port-au-Prince Public Prosecutor’s Office, says the campaign is against those establishments that do not comply with the law and do not respect the conditions and criteria of operation, including possession of a patent and a visible and explicit commercial plaque on the establishment, indicating their activities.The authorities had on January 26 given the establishments a 48 hour ultimatum to correct the situation, but to date 41 of them have failed to do so including 30 between February 1-5.Danton said that once the institutions had complied with the law, the Public Prosecutor’s Office could reconsider its decision and lift the seals. On the other hand, he is warning that he is prepared to prosecute all owners who do not comply with the law or refuse to comply.He has also warned that the establishments where minors are believed to be engaged in prostitution are being investigated and that severe measures would be taken against the owners and customers of these establishments.last_img read more

Caribbean nationals among ICE arrest

first_imgCaribbean nationals are among 36 people arrested by law enforcement authorities in the United States during a five-day operation. The arrests were part of an ongoing “public safety efforts” campaign conducted by the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).Previously incarceratedAccording to ICE, the operation targeted criminal immigrants who were previously incarcerated at the Middlesex County Jail (MCJ) in New Jersey. The immigrants were subsequently released to the community by MCJ, without honoring the ICE detainer or advising them of their release.Immigration detainerAn immigration detainer is a tool used by ICE and other US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) officials. The detainer is required when the agencies identifies potentially deportable individuals who are held in jails or prisons nationwide. This policy is in accordance with the American Immigration Council.Typically, according to ICE, detainers are issued by an authorized immigration official or local police officer designated to act as an immigration official under section 287(g) of the US Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).ICE said the operation also targeted other criminal immigrants residing in Middlesex County.Caribbean Immigrants arrestedThe Caribbean immigrants arrested as part of the operation were nationals of Anguilla, Belize, Cuba, Dominican Republic, and Trinidad and Tobago.The other immigrants were nationals of El Salvador, Ghana, Guatemala, Honduras, India, Kenya, Mexico, Paraguay, Philippines and Turkey.ICE said the detained individuals range from 19 to 62 years old, and were all previously arrested or convicted of a variety of offenses.Various offensesSome of the arrests and convictions included sexual assault of a minor, child abuse, criminal restraint of a minor, domestic violence, possession of narcotics, distribution of narcotics, robbery, receiving stolen property, theft, aggravated assault, hindering apprehension, resisting officer, driving under the influence (DUI), unsworn falsification, possession of a weapon, burglary, prostitution, and illegal re-entry into the US.For other recent news on Caribbean nationals detained by ICE, click the link: Caribbean nationals nabbed in immigration sweeplast_img read more

Kensington Oval to host first day/night test

first_imgKensington Oval The first day night test to be played in the Caribbean is scheduled for Kensington Oval in Barbados in June when Sri Lanka tours the Caribbean. The day-night fixture which will start on June 23, will be the third match of the series, which begins on June 6 at Queen’s Park Oval in Trinidad.The Darren Sammy Cricket Ground in St Lucia will host the second test starting on June 14. It will be Sri Lanka’s first test tour of the West Indies in 10 years as well as the first time they will play test cricket at the iconic Kensington Oval.The teams ended 1-1 the last time the teams meet in a test series in the Caribbean in March 2008. There have been eight day-night tests since the first one between Australia and New Zealand in November 2015. West Indies have already played two day/night tests without any success, while Sri Lanka beat Pakistan on their day-night test debut.last_img read more

Cuban plane crash caused by human error

first_imgDamojh Airlines – the Mexican charter company which owns the plane that crashed in Cuba earlier this year, has attributed the tragedy to “human error.”.According to the company, data recorders showed the Boeing 737 had taken off too steeply.The crash, on May 18, that killed 112 people, was one of the worst to happen in the Caribbean for decades. Plane leased from Damojh in MexicoThe Boeing 737 and its Mexican crew had been leased from Damojh by Cuban state airline Cubana when it came down 12 miles south of the airport.  Eyewitnesses described seeing the jet burst into flames before crashing into a field close to a wooded area near Havana’s main airport.Take off angle was too steepDamojh said in a statement that “the crew took off at a very steep angle creating a lack of lift which caused the aircraft to plunge”.The company said it was basing its assessment on data from the plane’s data recorders which had been extracted by a team made up of investigators from Cuba, Mexico and the US, and representatives from Boeing and engine manufacturers Pratt & Whitney.Mexican pilots union disagree However, the Mexican pilots’ union ASPA said Damojh’s statement, released before the official investigation has concluded, was “irresponsible.” A spokesman for the union said Damojh was “just looking to defend their interests” by blaming the crew before the investigation had been concluded.Following the accident two former pilots for the company came forward to allege that Damojh had a poor maintenance record.In the aftermath of the crash, Mexico’s civil aviation authority suspended the company’s operations, saying the suspension would remain in place pending the outcome of the investigation.Most of the victims were Cuban, including 10 evangelical pastors and their spouses. Of the 113 people on board, 110 died on impact. Of the three initial survivors, two later died in hospital.Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel has set up a special commission to investigate the crash.last_img read more

Bermuda records first murder for 2018

first_imgBermuda recorded its first murder so far this year when a 30 year old man was gunned down late Friday.The police who released details on Sunday identified him as   Taylor Grier, 30.Grier died when he was gunned down in Hamilton late Friday buy a gunman opened fire at the junction of Court Street and Elliott Street after arriving on a motorcycle with another person.A bystander told police that he did not see the shooting or suspects, but  heard about six explosions.“This is deeply disturbing after a period of relative calm. We will make sure that we meet the violence with the appropriate force,” said National Security Minister Wayne Caines said after arriving at the scene.Former Premier Michael Dunkley, the Shadow Minister of National Security, said he knew Grier as a constituent and friend, adding: “We were stunned, devastated and saddened to lean of another senseless murder.”The police also reported that a man has been detained a man in connection with the shooting.last_img read more

NEWSMAKER: Felecia Hatcher, founder of BlackTech Week

first_imgThe 5th annual BlackTech Week presented by Code Fever Miami, in partnership with the Knight Foundation, commences February 5-9 at various locations in Miami. For people of colorBlackTech Week is the largest conference and networking event in the country for people of color. The event provides a platform for entrepreneurship, employment, innovation and international competitiveness for underserved and underrepresented populations.Code FeverThe event was launched in 2014 by Jamaican American, Felecia Hatcher, and her husband Derick Pearson, through their community program, Code Fever. The mission of Code Fever is to inspire more underserved minority students between the ages of 13 to 21 to code, build and create technology enterprises within their communities, close the gap in technology education, and become leaders in STEM fields by increasing the number of young startup founders.BlackTech Week is a minority centric ecosystem-building festival, based in Miami. BlackTech Week partners with founders, corporations, and the community to create a valuable six-day national experience for investors, entrepreneurs, and techies of every kind. Since its inception, BlackTech Week has convened over 2700 participants, over 150 speakers, and 3 pitch competitions.Hatcher is committed to using the conference to continue strengthening Black techies and entrepreneurs.   “Code Fever Miami is excited to work with our sponsors Knight Foundation, Salesforce and AT&T to support BlackTech Week as it continues to serve our mission to accelerate the building of asset and talent-filled spaces in Black communities. We believe that innovation and economic competitiveness can thrive by focusing on drawing resources, training, networks, funding, and instituting inclusive policies,” Hatcher said.Includes a Cannabis SummitThis year’s curated workshops include a Cannabis Summit, GovEduCon, Afrofuturism and a Women’s Innovation Brunch.  These sessions will cover topics including smart cities development, ecosystem building, STEM education and entrepreneurship in cannabis; in addition to highly anticipated master class style sessions on funding, venture capital and private equity.As well as co-founding Code Fever and BlackTech Week, Hatcher is a White House award-winning entrepreneur, bestselling author of ‘Start your Business on a Ramen Noodle Budget’, globally sought-after speaker, and founder of Miami-based projects, Tribe CoWork and Urban Innovation Lab.last_img read more

Cuba Appoints A Prime Minister for the First Time Since 1976

first_imgManuel Marrero Cruz (facing camera) embraces Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel during the closing session at the National Assembly in Havana, Cuba, on Saturday. HAVANA, Cuba – For the first time since 1976, Cuba’s President Miguel Diaz-Canel named Tourism Minister Manuel Marrero as the country’s Prime Minister.The last Prime Minister of Cuba was Fidel Castro from 1959 to 1976. When the National Assembly created a new constitution in 1976, the post of Prime Minister was eliminated and Castro was named President.Castro and his brother Raul held the presidential post along with Cuba’s other highest positions, like Communist Party leader, until this year, when Raul Castro stepped down as president after 10 years (2008 – 2018).In February 2019, Cubans voted for the implementation of a new constitution to replace the 1976 Soviet-era charter enacted under Castro. Among other things, the new constitution outlines the specific responsibilities of the president and the new post of prime minister.The post was nominated by the President and unanimously approved by the National Assembly.Under the latest constitution, the prime minister will serve a five-year term and will have responsibility for the daily operations of government as head of the Council of Ministers.During the closing session at the National Assembly of Popular Power on December 21, Diaz-Canel cited Marrero’s experience in negotiating with foreign investors as one of his prime qualifications, according to Cuban state media.Marrero, 56, has been tourism minister for 16 years, presiding over an increase in visitor arrivals and a hotel construction boom that has made tourism one of the most important sectors of the Cuban economy.last_img read more

Disgraced Referee Finally Speak Out On ‘Big Error’

first_imgDisgraced Ghanaian referee, Joseph Odartey Lamptey, has finally talked about the high profile error that led to his lifetime ban from football.Lamptey made the error during the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifier between South Africa and Senegal at the Peter Mokaba Stadium in Polokwane in 2016. He gave the hosts a penalty after the ball clearly touched the thigh of defender Kalidou Koulibaly.Football authorities in Senegal thereafter lodged a complaint with the Confederation of African Football (CAF) and Lamptey was subsequently banned for three months. That ban was upgraded to lifetime after world football’s governing body got wind of the matter and investigations showed that Lamptey “manipulated” the match.While speaking during an interview that was conducted by the Senegal News Agency or L’Agence de presse sénégalaise and published by Afrik Foot, Lamptey said the error was not intentional. In his words, he said: “I deeply love Senegal. I can tell you that I felt deep pain after having done such an injustice against that country. I really love your country. My mistake was never intentional. That happens to you in your line of work as a journalist.”Right or wrong? It is truly a human error but never did I want to do something against Senegal or its interests. When I came back from the match in South Africa, my wife kept asking me what I had done to the Senegalese people. I told her so many times that it was a huge error I made against a country I adore.” In addition to Lamptey’s lifetime ban, FIFA have also ordered for the said match to be replayed in November 2017. South African football authorities initially frowned at the verdict but they have accepted it in good fate and the football body has already refunded the USD 380,000 South African Football Association (SAFA) used for the first match played last year.RelatedDisgraced Referee Joseph Lamptey Had Match-Fixing History – FIFA InvestigatorsJanuary 16, 2018In “Africa”Ghana FA Makes Official Complaint To FIFA Over Uganda MatchOctober 8, 2017In “FIFA”Adam FedericiJune 30, 2017Similar postlast_img read more

Digital Sports Tech enters the Russian market with Fonbet

first_img Ilya Machavariani, Dentons – CIS regional dynamics will come to play prior to gambling take-off July 31, 2020 Share Digital Sports Tech has entered the Russian market for the first time after making a deal to supply its Player Props betting product to the country’s largest sportsbook operator, Fonbet.Fonbet will integrate the product into its sportsbook, within a fully translated UI which includes player names. Player Props allows users to create and customise their own bets on player performance using an algorithm to generate accurate odds in real time, across a range of sports including football, basketball, American football and rugby league.Fonbet players will also be able to take advantage of the supplier’s new browse bet functionality, which points users to player proposition bets rather than always having to create them by themselves.Ari Lewski, Executive Director of Digital Sports Ltd, said: “We have had our sights set on the Russian market for some time now, so to be able to partner with the country’s largest sportsbook at such an early stage in our company’s lifespan is testament to the value Player Props brings.“Not only do sport bettors want to bet on player performance, they are also seeking a more tailored and individual experience from their sportsbook sites, and our Player Props product ticks both those boxes.“We’re also really excited about our new browse bet functionality, which adds a layer of familiarity for new customers and opens up the product to even more people. We understand that people are busy and may not always have the time to create their own bets. Browse bet solves that issue.”Alexandra Sergeeva, Fonbet CMO, said: “Digital Sports Tech have brought to the market a very innovative and exciting new sports betting product that opens up what we see as a big growth area within the industry –  player performance betting.“We’ve also been very impressed by their ability to facilitate a quick and painless integration, which has meant we’ll be able to go live with the product early on in Q1 this year.“We’re really looking forward to offering Player Props to our customers, and in particular giving them the opportunity to customise their own bets on player statistical performance.”Just last week, Caliente, the largest sportsbook in Mexico, became the first operator in Latin America to launch the player proposition betting product. Submit Related Articles Duma approves overhaul of Russian sports betting laws  July 23, 2020 Alexey Khobot on the evolution of odds calculations August 13, 2020 Share StumbleUponlast_img read more