TORONTO, Canada, (CMC):Trinidad & Tobago’s Olympic champion, Keshorn Walcott, extended his recent good form when he won gold in the men’s javelin at the Pan American Games yesterday.Though his winning mark of 83.27 metres was way short of his best, the 22-year-old still managed to walk away with yet another major title, adding to the one he landed three years ago at the London 2012 Olympics.American Riley Dolezal, who measured 81.62m, finished with silver while Brazilian Julio Cesar de Oliveira took bronze with a throw of 80.94m.Walcott found his winning throw in the second round, leaving the remainder of the field – which included countryman Shakeil Waithe who finished last – battling to play catch-up.Two weeks ago, Walcott threw a personal-best 90.16 to smash the T&T national record and win at the Lausanne Diamond League meet.The mark was the second best in the world this year behind Kenyan Julius Yego’s 91.39m.In the men’s triple jump, veteran Bahamian Leevan Sands conjured up a season-best mark, to clinch silver behind winner Pablo Pedro Pichardo of Cuba.Pichardo measured a distance of 17.54 metres while Sands, an Olympic and World Championship bronze medallist, jumped 16.99.Cuban Ednia Caballero, meanwhile, picked up gold in the women’s discus with a throw of 65.39m with fellow national Yaime Perez taking silver with 64.99.
UK plans Brexit celebrations but warns businesses may suffer Former No. 1 and tenth-seed Angelique Kerber rallied past Ekaterina Makarova 3-6, 6-4, 6-2 and Petra Martic upset last year’s French Open champion Jelena Ostapenko 6-3, 6-3.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina MOST READ SMB up 2-0 “It felt like first match I ever played on the tour,” Djokovic said. “Very weird. I mean, I just completely lost rhythm, everything.”Gael Monfils upset No. 15 seed and 2012 runner-up John Isner 6-7 (5), 7-6 (3), 7-5.On the women’s side, top-ranked Simona Halep came back to top 19-year-old Caroline Dolehide 1-6, 7-6 (3), 6-2 in just over two hours.American Amanda Anisimova took down two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova 6-2, 6-4 in a match lasting just over an hour to become the first 16-year-old to move into the fourth round at Indian Wells since Viktoriya Kutuzova in 2005.“It feels crazy. I mean, I’m still in shock,” Anisimova said. “She’s the best player I have ever played, and it was the biggest court I have ever played on. So it was definitely nerve-wracking kind of, but I was enjoying it so much out there and I was playing my best. It was a good day.”ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson INDIAN WELLS, CA – MARCH 11: Roger Federer of Switzerland hits a shot during his match against Federico Delbonis of Argentina during the BNP Paribas Open at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden of the Czech Republic on March 11, 2018 in Indian Wells, California. Adam Pretty/Getty Images/AFPINDIAN WELLS, Calif. — Roger Federer completed a rain-delayed debut match at the BNP Paribas Open on Sunday with a 6-3, 7-6 (6) win over Federico Delbonis of Argentina.On Saturday, Federer led 6-3, 2-2 when the match was delayed by a heavy drizzle 56 minutes after it began. Federer, who earned his fifth title at Indian Wells last year, saved a set point in the second-set tiebreaker and advanced to face Filip Krajinovic on Monday.ADVERTISEMENT GALLERY: Barangay Ginebra back as PBA Governors’ Cup kings Marin Cilic, the 2014 U.S. Open champion who lost to Federer in the final of this year’s Australian Open, eased to a 7-5, 6-3 victory over Marton Fucsovics.Taro Daniel, a 109th-ranked qualifier, upset five-time Indian Wells champion Novak Djokovic 7-6 (3), 4-6, 6-1.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkDjokovic was makings his first appearance since being stunned by Hyeon Chung at the Australian Open. Djokovic sprinted out to a 5-2 lead against the 25-yard-old from Japan, but his mistakes began to add up and he finished with 58 unforced errors.It was the earliest loss for Djokovic at Indian Wells since a first-round exit in 2006. Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Phivolcs records 2 ‘discrete weak ash explosions’ at Taal Volcano View comments Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Sea turtle trapped in net freed in Legazpi City Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Nueva Ecija warehouse making fake cigarettes raided, 29 Chinese workers nabbed
The premises of the Monrovia City Court, at the Temple of Justice was last Tuesday, the scene of laughter and disbelief when a 42-year-old father of three children, in a bitter exchange with his wife, accused her of exposing his sexual relationship with her 13-year-old daughter (name withheld) from a previous relationship.The drama unfolded as defendant Varney Swaray, was being escorted by court officers to the Monrovia City Prison where he will await his day in court to answer to the rape charge. But on seeing his wife among onlookers, he broke down in tears claiming that she was responsible for his ordeal.The alleged rape, according to court records, took place on June 25 last year at the Pagos Island community in Paynesville, outside Monrovia.Under the Rape Law, the crime of rape is a non-bailable offense.Although defendant Swaray admitted to the act during police investigation, in court he argued that the victim had previous sexual encounters with a number of unnamed individuals.“You have disgraced me because you know that your daughter knew about man business and she has been having affairs with several other persons,” said a crying Swaray.“You brought this rape issue against me and so, see what you have done to me. You are the cause for me to go to jail and I will never forgive you.”The victim, according to court records, claimed that on June 25, 2017 defendant Swaray gave her L$60 to hire a motorbike to take her to the front of the Congo Town residence of former President Charles Taylor, where she was to await his arrival, to which she willingly agreed.The victim explained that her stepfather later joined her, and both of them boarded a vehicle that drove them to the ELWA Junction. After their arrival at ELWA Junction, the victim claimed that the defendant took her to a nearby makeshift hotel.When they entered the room, the victim alleged that her stepfather undressed her and had sexual intercourse with her.The victim told police that afterwards, the defendant gave her L$120 and asked her to return home, which she did.According to the victim, when she returned home her mother, being overly concerned about her whereabouts, questioned her and even threaten to beat her if she did not reveal where she had been.She claimed that when she noticed that her mother was serious about her threat, she fled from her and later explained the incident to one of her friends identified as Tutu George.It was Tutu George, the victim alleged, that explained her (victim) relationship with the stepdad to her mother.Upon hearing the news, the victim said members of her community immediately arrested her stepfather and took him to the Congo Town Zone 3 Police Depot, where he was detained.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window) – Advertisement – Unrepentant defendant Varney Swaray, being escorted by court officers to the Monrovia City Prison
Burak Yilmaz Lazio are lining up a £7.5m offer for Arsenal, Chelsea and West Ham target Burak Yilmaz.The prolific Turkey international has scored 56 goals in 90 league outings for Galatasaray since arriving from Trabzonspor three years back.That form has attracted the interest of both Arsenal and Chelsea in the past while it has been suggested that new West Ham manager Slaven Bilic is a big fan of the 29-year-old and may launch a bid for him this summer.But he will have to move fast after reports in Italy revealed that Lazio are now ready to go back for Yilmaz having failed to land him two years ago.The Italian side have been tracking Yilmaz for some time and almost sealed a deal in 2013 only for it to fall through.But they have not given up on signing the forward, who scored a hat-trick to seal the Turkish Cup – and domestic double – as Gala beat Bursaspor 3-2 in the final last week. 1
Played in perfect conditions, Urris came out on top to progress to the next round of the Intermediate Championship.The home team never really got going and Urris were in control from the start.After opening points from Alan Friel, Jason Doherty and Dara Grant which saw Urris make a good start he home team replied with points from Harry Harden and Ciaran McGinley. A goal from Conor Bradley just before half time really gave Urris the lift they needed. The second half saw a strong fight back by N. Mhuire as points from Tom McHugh, Sean Yank Boyle, Ciaran McGinley and Adi O’Gara saw the margin reduce to two points.Urris then hit a patch where they had points from Conor Bradley, Mark McLaughlin and Jason Doherty to put some daylight again. McGinley, Harden and Boyle added further points but Urris traded scores through Alan Friel and in the end the home team could not find the goal they were searching for. GAA NEWS: URRIS OVERCOME NAOMH MHUIRE IN INTERMEDIATE CHAMPIONSHIP was last modified: August 19th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Intermediate ChampionshipNaomh MhuireURRIS
Russia have already exceeded all expectations at the World Cup The 29-year-old, who has scored three goals at these World Cup finals so far including during Russia’s shock victory over Spain, posted a picture of his mangled finger that was bent into an S shape after he tore a tendon two years ago.Dzyuba wrote on Instagram: “For everyone who worries about me: football without injuries does not happen.“But even a tendon on my finger, which was torn two years ago, will not stop me!”The 6ft 4in target man has captured the hearts of his nation with his good displays on the pitch as Russia have exceeded all expectations at the World Cup.And although his latest post on Instagram might seem bizarre to some, Dzyuba earned plenty of praise from his fans.One fan replied to his post: “We believe in you. And do not let one injury hurt you! Get better.“Tomorrow the whole country will be with you and your team!”Another fan said: “Artem, you’re the best player! You will not be stopped.”Russia will play England in the semi-finals of the tournament should both sides win their respective quarter-final ties. 1 Russia striker Artem Dzyuba posted an ‘interesting’ picture on his Instagram account ahead of his side’s World Cup quarter-final on Saturday evening.The host nation take on Croatia at the Fisht Olympic Stadium in Sochi – a game you can listen to live on talkSPORT – and Dzyuba used a slightly unconventional method to try and rally his team-mates and fans.
The biggest market value losers in 2019, including Bale and ex-Liverpool star Cavani ‘agrees’ to join new club and will complete free transfer next summer moving on Here’s a round-up of the latest news, rumours and gossip from Saturday’s newspapers and online… Hazard is happy at Chelsea 3 Kevin De Bruyne ‘loves Man City and wants to keep winning’, reveals father 3 LATEST LIVING THE DREAM Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade RANKED 3 targets Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ IN DEMAND Newcastle’s on-loan striker Salomon Rondon wants to make his move from West Brom permanent. (Chronicle)Eden Hazard is happy at Chelsea despite fearing his Real Madrid dream may have died. (Telegraph)Celtic have rejected a £13m bid for French midfielder Oliver Ntcham from Porto. (Goal) REVEALED Darmian will not be leaving United Latest talkSPORT.com exclusives..Steve Bruce believes Tottenham could have landed Jack Grealish has they done their transfer business earlier in the window.Jay Bothroyd told Jim White the problem at Manchester United is Jose Mourinho, not Paul Pogba.Matt Ritchie believes Newcastle United boss Rafa Benitez is ‘happy and upbeat’ at the club. Leeds manager Marcelo Bielsa insists he has not contacted Pep Guardiola or Mauricio Pochettino for loan deals from Man City and Tottenham despite being close friends with the two bosses. (Yorkshire Evening Post)Tottenham have suffered a blow in their bid to offload misfiring striker Vincent Jansen as he was ruled out with injury until Christmas. (Sun)Reading are launching a bid to bring 30-year-old Swansea midfielder Nathan Dyer to the Madejski on loan. (Sun)Sunderland’s owners have revealed the previous owners spent £1,000-a-month on plastic plants. (Sunderland Echo) targets Where every Premier League club needs to strengthen in January Real Madrid are preparing a staggering 300m euro (£270m) bid for Neymar if UEFA sanctions force Paris Saint-Germain to sell the Brazil forward. (Sport)Aston Villa midfielder Jack Grealish is set to be offered a huge new deal with the club after Tottenham failed to sign him. (Express)Manchester United’s Matteo Darmian will remain at Old Trafford this summer despite interest from several Italian clubs. (Sun) LATEST TRANSFER NEWS Man United joined by three other clubs in race for Erling Haaland Tony Cascarino backs Everton to sign two strikers for Carlo Ancelotti GETTY
Fianna Fáil Education spokesperson Charlie McConalogue has called on new Education Minister Jan O’Sullivan to engage meaningfully with secondary school teachers over Junior Cert reform.Charlie McConalogue TDThe Donegal TD said the government has allowed this row to rumble on for far too long.“Minister O’Sullivan needs to make a clean break from the policy of her predecessor, start taking the concerns of teachers seriously and agree to enter discussions on a compromise. Announcing a one year suspension of the start of the changes would be significant statement of willingness to engage,” he said. He added the new Minister cannot ignore teacher concerns about the outright removal of all independent assessment at Junior Cert level.“Nor should she ignore the independent advice of the National Council for Curriculum and Assessment, which proposed a mix of school-based and State-based assessment in its proposals for Junior Cert reform. She should also be aware that Minister Quinn failed to provide adequate time for proper teacher training on the changes that he is expected them to introduce from September next.“Minister O’Sullivan must not attempt to implement the reforms unilaterally. She needs to announce a one year suspension of the changes, engage with teachers, back away from abolishing all independent assessment and start considering a compromise”.McCONALOGUE CALLS FOR JUNIOR CERT REFORM TO BE SUSPENDED FOR ONE YEAR was last modified: July 13th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:deputy charlie mcconaloguedonegalJunior Cert
Chelsea v Burnley line-ups: youngster makes Blues debut, Morata and Newcastle target Kenedy on bench
Chelsea have handed debuts to Antonio Rudiger and 20-year-old winger Jeremie Boga as their Premier League title defence begins at home to Burnley.Boga, an unused substitute in the Community Shield against Arsenal last Sunday, is promoted with Pedro sidelined by an ankle injury and new signing Alvaro Morata not fully fit enough to start.Michy Batshuayi, whose goal at West Brom in May clinched the title for the Blues, leads the line instead.Rudiger plays in the three-man defence alongside David Luiz and newly appointed full-time captain Gary Cahill, for Chelsea’s first match in the post-John Terry era.Cesar Azpilicueta switches to right wing-back, with Victor Moses suspended following his red card in last season’s FA Cup final.Goalkeeper Willy Caballero, signed from Manchester City, is on the bench alongside five of the club’s youngsters – 21-year-olds Kenedy and Andreas Christensen, 20-year-old Charly Musonda and 19-year-olds Fikayo Tomori and Kyle Scott.Summer arrival Tiemoue Bakayoko is recovering from knee surgery while the out-of-favour Diego Costa is not named in the squad.Former Chelsea reserve team skipper Jack Cork makes his debut for Burnley, while ex-Brentford defender James Tarkowski also starts.Chelsea: Courtois; Rudiger, Luiz, Cahill; Azpilicueta, Kante, Fabregas, Alonso; Willian, Batshuayi, Boga.Subs: Caballero, Christensen, Tomori, Scott, Musonda, Kenedy, Morata.Burnley: Heaton; Lowton, Tarkowski, Mee, Ward; Gudmundsson, Cork, Hendrick, Defour, Brady; Vokes.Subs: Pope, Taylor, Westwood, Long, Arfield, Walters, Barnes.See also:Injured Pedro to miss Burnley gameConte: Chelsea’s commitment is better than last seasonMorata ‘needs time to adapt’ at ChelseaConte on Pedro, Morata, Wenger’s comments and Chelsea’s search for players Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
Air New Zealand’s $NZ100 million ($US69m) roll-out of new lounges continued with the opening Tuesday of a bigger facility at Melbourne International Airport facility catering for almost 250 guests.The Kiwi carrier’s four-year program to develop the airline’s network of lounges has already seen new facilities in Sydney and Brisbane in Australia, Nadi in Fiji and Auckland, Wellington, Queenstown, Hamilton and Invercargill in New Zealand.It also plans to open a new lounge in Perth by the end of this year.The new Melbourne lounge is 50 per cent bigger and follows the modern design theme of its Sydney counterpart created in conjunction with award-winning global architectural firm Gensler and Australian based design firm Marsden Collective.It offers five different spaces allowing customers to relax and refresh or get some work done and includes a self-service food buffet, two self-service drink stations and a barista station.Air New Zealand general manager customer experience Anita Hawthorne said the airline had been investing heavily in the Australian market, including its ‘Better Way to Fly’ campaign starring Dave the goose encouraging to travel Air New Zealand to North and South America.The carrier has targeted Australians in cities such as Perth and Adelaide who face one-stop services to the Americas through East Coast airports, arguing they are better off connecting through Auckland.