zoom Athens-based marine fuel logistics company Aegean Marine Petroleum Network Inc. is starting immediate marine fuel supply operations in the Gulf of Mexico. In support of its operations the company has also assumed the contracts for two ocean-going bunkering tankers previously under charter to OW Bunker and expects to purchase the fuel on-board.E. Nikolas Tavlarios, President of Aegean Marine Petroleum Network said that the company is capitalizing on another opportunity to grow its global footprint, diversify its operations into a new and attractive market and expand its ability to service customers on a worldwide basis.”With these specialized tankers and their highly trained personnel in place we can immediately begin servicing the specific needs of vessels transiting the Gulf of Mexico, leveraging our capabilities and driving profitable revenue growth. We believe that we are well-positioned in this market and are excited to provide customers in the region with a full range of marine fuel products. As we continue to advance our leadership in the marine fuel industry, we remain committed to a risk-averse growth strategy that has, and we believe will continue to, deliver value to our shareholders,” Tavlarios said.
Rabat – Morocco’s Ministry of Interior has given instructions for measures to be put in place to strengthen security after the terrorist attack against a National Guard patrol in Tunisia on July 8.The ministry called on its forces to increase security across the country, based on the exchange of security information between Morocco and its European partners, reported Moroccan newspaper Al Ahdath Al Maghribia on Thursday.The strategy aims at reinforcing internal security and to fight against any attack that would undermine the stability of the country. Quoted by the same source, the Ministry of the Interior said: “The Moroccan security services have stepped up coordination and exchange of information with the European and Maghreb security services on possible terrorist threats.”The security cooperation also includes the Tunisian security services.According to Al Ahdath Al Maghribia, the measures came as a security plan hastily put in place by the Moroccan authorities. The plan aims at protecting and preventing any harm to national security or physical safety of foreigners and tourists, in addition to diplomats and employees working in consulates and embassies.The security measures will cover hotels, tourist and entertainment resorts, and foreign chambers of commerce offices.The ministry also gave instructions to security forces to carry out careful inspection of passengers’ identities and baggage at airports, especially the Mohammed V Airport in Casablanca.At the national level, checkpoints were set up at city entrances to check passengers’ identities and inspect suspicious buses and vehicles.Security cells, directly linked to the Ministry of the Interior, have been established in each city. These cells are composed of members of the National Security, the Royal Gendarmerie, auxiliary forces, the Directorate of Territorial Surveillance (DST) and the General Directorate for Territorial Surveillance (DGST). They were put on full alert in case of threats or suspicious movements that may affect public security, Al Ahdath Al Maghribia added.For decades, Morocco has collaborated with partner countries, especially Europe and the US, in combating terrorism at the national and international levels. On June 12, French and Belgian authorities announced a joint anti-terrorism unit with Morocco to share their intelligence experience in the fight against terrorism. In December 2017, the US Department of State said that Morocco, along with the US, was making leading global efforts in the fight against terrorism and its ideologies. It also noted Morocco’s security achievements in countering terrorism in 2016.In response to terrorist threats, Morocco’s proactive, collaborative measures to prevent potential terrorist attacks have proven their effectiveness.Last June, Director of Counter-Terrorism Bureau (BCIJ) Abdelehak Khiame told the French magazine Valeurs Actuelles that Morocco’s anti-terrorist model is successful thanks to an “anticipatory philosophy,” which deals with terrorism at its very roots.In the last 10 years, the Moroccan security services have been waging a pre-emptive campaign which has enabled them to dismantle tens of sleeper and active cells linked to terrorist networks, especially the so-called Islamic State (ISIS). Since the beginning of July, BCIJ has dismantled two separate terrorist cells, totaling eleven pro-ISIS suspects in different regions in Morocco.
There is no inherent increased risk of the emergence of a human pandemic strain due to the tsunami itself, the World Health Organization (WHO) said, since the areas with the highest prevalence of bird flu were not directly affected by the disaster.“However, any activity that spreads avian influenza increases the possibility of the emergence of a pandemic virus,” it added. “The risk of importing avian influenza into areas affected by the tsunami can be minimized by controlling the movement of poultry from areas where outbreaks of avian influenza have occurred.“It is also important to ensure that infected poultry are kept out of the food chain, including emergency food relief activities,” it stressed.WHO has warned several times over the past year of the potential evolution of the virus into a human pandemic which, in the worst scenario, could have a devastatingly deadly result.After the most recent outbreak in Viet Nam, which killed three of the four infected, it warned that cooler winter temperatures and increased poultry marketing, transportation, and consumption associated with the Lunar New Year in February could exacerbate the risk of further human cases.Before the new cases, the same H5 virus subtype infected 45 people in Asia over the past year, 32 of them fatally, and resulted in the deaths or culling of more than 100 million birds.Meanwhile, the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) said there has been no evidence that fish- and seafood-borne illnesses have increased in the countries hit by last month’s tsunami.The agency reported that rumours criss-crossing southern Asia suggested it was unsafe to eat fish that have been in proximity to or have fed on the bodies of the tsunami victims, resulting in a drop in fish consumption.FAO stressed that such fears were unfounded. “In light of the information available, there is no evidence, epidemiological or of any other nature, of an increased risk of fish- and seafood-borne illnesses in the affected regions,” it said.The agency warned instead that damaged wastewater and sanitation systems might leak into fishing grounds or aquaculture ponds, leading to viral, bacterial and parasitic intestinal infections.FAO said that eating only healthy-looking, properly cleaned and fully cooked fish would minimize risks. “The best advice is to avoid eating any fish or seafood with visible signs of spoilage, and most importantly to ensure that fish is eviscerated and well cooked before consumption,” it said.