Comments are closed. Employers have criticised Government plans to extend paternity and parentalleave. The CIPD and the CBI are unhappy about the timing of the latest proposals – revealedlast week. They say employers have not had a chance to gauge the impact of newparental and paternity leave regulations, being introduced in April as part ofthe Employment Act. The plans are outlined in the joint Treasury and DTI document BalancingWorking and Family Life, which proposes extending paid paternity leave beyondtwo weeks, and extending parental leave rights. Mike Emmott, head of employee relations at the CIPD, called the DTIannouncement ‘a stunt’. “This does not look like joined-up government,” he said. “Thefirst ever right to paternity leave does not even come into effect for a coupleof months. “It is normal practice to monitor new legislation, and then decidewhether any changes need to be made.” The CBI said the plans to extend paternity and parental leave are being madeat a time when many firms can least afford the extra burden due to the weakenedeconomy. John Cridland, CBI deputy director-general, said: “At a time when manybusinesses are fighting a daily battle to remain competitive, the last thingsthey need are additional cost and administrative burdens. “Firms cannot simply go on absorbing the extra costs. The Governmentmust recognise that ever-more employment legislation damages businesses anddestroys jobs.” Cridland added: “Acting now is premature, and at odds with theGovernment’s commitment to review the situation in three years time.” By Ben Willmottwww.cipd.org.uk Previous Article Next Article Employers criticise plan to extend paternity leaveOn 21 Jan 2003 in Personnel Today Related posts:No related photos.
Thousands of students attended further protests in London and Manchester against cuts to higher education and public spending on Saturday.Sixteen people were arrested in Manchester and a further group detained in London as the government was accused of “betraying an entire generation.”Students in Manchester marched alongside members of TUC (Trade Unions Congress) and Unite, in a protest which the police said had started out as “very good natured, very convivial.”A breakaway group of roughly 150 protesters caused disturbances across the city centre, as students joined with trade union to voice their anger at the cuts.A spokesperson for the Greater Manchester Police said a number were known to have armed themselves with chef’s knives and razor blades.Neil Wain, Assistant Chief Constable of Greater Manchester Police, said, “It is clear this group were intent on getting into the city centre to incite violence and cause damage to people living and working in our city.”The demonstration in London took place without any large-scale confrontations, although six people were detained by police. Students marched through Whitehall and Westminster, some joining the protests outside the Egyptian embassy afterwards, and some “still roaming around the West End” in the late afternoon.Meanwhile, NUS president Aaron Porter was forced to pull out of a student fees rally after he was surrounded by demonstrators calling for his resignation.Protesters shouted “Students, workers, hear our shout! We want Aaron Porter out!” and “Aaron Porter we know you, you’re a f****** Tory too!”Birkbeck University and the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) have already passed motions of no confidence in Aaron Porter, as students vocalise their doubts over his fitness to lead the student movement.The NUS Vice-President, Shane Chowen, had earlier been pelted by missiles, including eggs and oranges, as he spoke at the event and was booed off stage.An Oxford student who was present at the London protest said, “I found the day quite disappointing, quite tiring. We were much less of a collective force than before.”Reflecting on a day of anti-government demonstrations, the Universities and Science Minister David Willetts said, “The Government respects the right of all citizens to engage in lawful and peaceful protest.“No student will be asked to pay up-front costs, there will be more financial support for poorer students and those who go on to earn the highest incomes will make the largest contributions after they have graduated.”The Oxford University Congregation will meet to debate undergraduate fees and funding in the Sheldonian Theatre on Tuesday of 4th Week.The Congregation is an official body comprising senior members of the University and its staff. As such, students will not be allowed to attend the debate.A member of the OEC (Oxford Education Campaign) said, “We have to get as much discussion and noise about this as possible out there. Whether we go down legitimate channels or use more disruptive measures, we have to enable genuine debate.“It’s not just disruption for disruption’s sake.”
A funeral mass was held Nov. 27 at the Immaculate Conception Church in Secaucus for Marjory Castle, 92 of Secaucus. She passed away peacefully at her daughter’s home on Nov. 21. Born in Aberdeen, Scotland to the late George and Charlotte (Rose) Walker, Marjory worked for many years at the Hudson News Co. in North Bergen. She was predeceased by her husband Ernest Castle; son Richard Harttig; and her sisters Helen Greenhalgh and Charlotte Paradiso. Marjory is survived by her daughter Kelley O’Connor and husband Kevin; grandchildren Hailey and Daniel O’Connor; brothers George and wife Pat Walker and James Walker and his companion Kay George; as well as many nieces and nephews.Services arranged by the Mack Memorial Home, Secaucus.
Lees Foods’ Patisserie UK subsidiary has been placed into administration after attempts to sell it as a going concern proved unsuccessful. Patisserie UK, a bespoke manufacturer of coffee shop round cakes, loaf and tray cakes, desserts and biscuits, suffered due to the loss of a major customer – Costa Coffee – last year. When Lees Foods acquired the business in 2007, Costa represented 75% of Patisserie UK’s sales, but according to the company, within three weeks of the acquisition Costa announced it was to source a quarter of this business elsewhere. “In late December 2008, Costa Coffee notified Patisserie UK that it would be transferring all of its then remaining requirements from Patisserie UK to other suppliers. It has not been possible to replace this level of sales in an appropriate time frame and consequently the company is in a loss-making situation,” read a statement from Lees.Established in 1994, Patisserie UK currently employs 41 people at its Livingston base in West Lothian. “At a time when the other parts of the Group have been performing satisfactorily, it is with regret that the Board had to arrive at this disappointing decision,” commented Raymond Miquel, chairman and managing director of the Lees Group.Following a trading update from the company in February, its directors carried out a review of the business after a “disappointing” performance in 2008, with losses for the 12 months to 31 December 2008 totalling over £20,000.
Thank you Mr President. Thank you to the Under-Secretary-General for his briefing.I’ve listened very carefully to what President Vučić and President Thaçi said today.Mr President, we believe that the development of its own armed forces is within Kosovo’s sovereignty as a self-governing independent state in close consultation with KFOR and we urge Kosovo to do this – and I hereby join the French representative – in close consultation with NATO and the wider international community. And I note from the Kosovo announcement that this development is to take place over the course of ten years.Since Resolution 1244 was passed in 1999, Kosovo has become an independent, self-governing state recognized by over 100 members of the United Nations and its decision to extend the mandate of the Kosovo Security Force should be viewed in this context. The United Kingdom’s interpretation of Resolution 1244 Mr President is that it does not – I repeat, not – contain anything that precludes the future transition of the mandate of the KSF. In fact Mr President, I re-read it at lunchtime. I then went on to read the document that followed it, the constitutional framework and the UN Ahtisaari Plan, the so-called “comprehensive settlement.” I can assure the Council that nothing in any of those three documents precludes the transformation of the KSF. The constitutional framework set up a Kosovo Protection Force. The Constitution builds on that proposal and this recent decision builds on the Constitution so I just wanted to set that out Mr President.That said, we continue to urge Kosovo to act responsibly, to act transparently and in consultation with NATO allies and to uphold Kosovo’s existing commitments to arrangements with KFOR and what President Thaçi said about his assurances today in that respect are welcome, but of course Mr President, we look for them to be put into action.I’ve noted the claim that the transition of the KSF is a threat to the Kosovo-Serb community. This claim is not borne out by Kosovo’s genuine efforts to make the KSF a multi-ethnic force as NATO allies have requested and the United Kingdom regrets that these multi-ethnic efforts have been undermined by external pressure. We encouraged the Kosovo Government to continue its outreach to the Kosovo-Serb community to allay any anxieties. And it’s a long time Mr President since the Council visited Kosovo, but I was on one of the earlier trips and we went into the Kosovo Serb community in the north where we heard from many people, but not all of them, supported the account given by President Vučić and the Russian Ambassador today.We don’t share Belgrade’s perception that the expansion in size and mandate over the next decade risk jeopardizing regional stability either and we look to Belgrade to respond in a measured way, including in their public statements.In this light Mr President, the United Kingdom considers assertions made by senior politicians and officials about the use of force by Serbia to be unhelpful and rejects the idea that such use of force might even be floated. I think it is irresponsible that they should have been repeated by one member of the Council today. I do agree with that member that that there is a risk of a return to turmoil, but it is not Mr President caused by this decision. It is caused by those from outside Kosovo who would seek to exploit it for their own ends.I do however take encouragement from listening to the Russian support today for NATO, which I think may be a first in this Chamber.Mr President, as other speakers have noted, the reason that we are here, the fundamental reason these problems persist is because of the lack of normalisation. At every step, settlements, progress have been blocked. The UN has tried, the EU, the US and Russia have tried, and unfortunately Mr President, at every stage of trying to settle this issue, there has been a blockage and I am sorry to say that it has come from Belgrade. But the only way is normalisation and we look to both Kosovo and Serbia to make progress in that way.We note with optimism the resolution passed by the Assembly of Kosovo on 15 December to establish a cross-party negotiating team and I join my French and other colleagues in urging both sides to return to negotiations through the EU-facilitated dialogue. Progress on the dialogue is vital for stability, security and prosperity in the two countries in the region. Final agreement itself needs also to contribute towards local, regional and global stability. And the two sides need to keep in mind that any proposals they put forward through the negotiations need to enhance the safety and security of all – I repeat, all – their citizens.Mr President I don’t find it surprising that there was an EU-8 statement today. Obviously, I took part in it but it’s not surprising because it is our region. We have cared and still care very deeply about what happens in the western Balkans and EU countries and the EU itself have put a lot of effort into helping stability and security there. But it is their future. It is the future of Kosovo and Serbia. I urge them, as other speakers have done today, I urge them to make all the steps necessary to normalise their relations through the EU-facilitated dialogue and I call on all their leaders who have been elected to represent their people’s interests. I call on all their leaders to enable this to happen. Both countries must now focus on a sustainable normalisation agreement through the dialogue which enhances security, enjoys popular domestic support and benefits both countries. And we stand ready Mr President, as we have always done, to support such an agreement. Thank you.
continue reading » The House Financial Services Committee passed four CUNA-supported bills at the conclusion of a two-day markup Wednesday.CUNA wrote Tuesday in support of the bills, which cover the Bank Secrecy Act, the National Flood Insurance Program and financial literacy programs.The bills are:The Corporate Transparency Act of 2019 (H.R. 2513), which would address the redundancies, unnecessary burdens, and opportunities for efficiencies within the Bank Secrecy Act/Anti-Money Laundering statutory framework. It passed 43-16;The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) Administration Reform Act of 2019(H.R. 3111), which would make administrative reforms to the NFIP. It passed 58-0; ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr
To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
Trump’s campaign is “failing” The Democratic nominating convention is to begin on August 17 and Biden is expected to announce his choice before then.Biden also criticized Trump’s handling of the coronavirus outbreak, which has left nearly 150,000 people dead in the United States, and the “Black Lives Matter” protests.”He’s shown that he can’t beat the pandemic and keep you safe,” the Democratic candidate said. “He can’t turn the economy around and get America back to work.”And he is horrifyingly and not surprisingly intentionally stoking the flames of division and racism in this country,” he said.The former vice president said Trump was using federal agents against protestors in a bid to scare voters.”That is all about trying to come up with a bizarre law and order 2020 campaign theme just to try to scare the devil out of the American people,” he said.”His campaign is failing and he’s looking for a political lifeline,” Biden said. “This isn’t about law and order. It’s about a political strategy to revive a failing campaign.”The former vice president was also asked why he’s running for the White House.”I’m running because Trump is the president,” he said. “And I think our democracy is at stake for real.”And what seems to be the case is many Americans — those who don’t like me and those who do — view me as the antithesis of Trump. And I believe that I am,” he said.Topics : Joe Biden, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, said Tuesday that he will pick his running mate next week for the November election against President Donald Trump.”I’m going to have a choice in the first week in August,” Biden told reporters. “And I promise, I’ll let you know when I do.”Biden, who has pledged to put a woman on the Democratic ticket, was asked whether he would be able to meet face-to-face with his vice presidential pick because of the coronavirus pandemic. Two other lawmakers are also believed to be in the running — Florida Rep. Val Demings and California Rep. Karen Bass — along with two governors — Michigan’s Gretchen Whitmer and New Mexico’s Michelle Lujan Grisham — and Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms.The website Politico issued a graphic following Biden’s remarks stating that he had chosen Harris before issuing a correction and saying that it was a mistake due to a “technical error.” “We’ll see,” the 77-year-old former vice president said.Biden joked that he would have to try to “trick” journalists camping outside his Wilmington home to allow him to meet discreetly with his choice before making an announcement.Biden’s short-list is believed to include California Senator Kamala Harris and Susan Rice, who served as National Security Advisor under president Barack Obama, according to press reports.Three other senators are also believed to be under consideration — Tammy Duckworth of Illiniois, Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts and Tammy Baldwin of Wisconsin.
Poland’s biggest oil and gas company, PKN Orlen (Polski Koncern Noftowy), has announced a tender for the development of a preliminary technical concept to determine the options for preparing and implementing a project involving the construction of offshore wind farms in the Baltic Sea.Under the licence held by PKN Orlen, the maximum capacity of the wind farms could be 1,200MW.The technical concept will cover a wide range of works, including the construction of technical, measurement/surveying and services infrastructure for the preparatory, execution and operational phases of the project.“Embarking on a wind farm project is in line with our strategic objectives and plans for Poland’s transition to a low-carbon economy. We hope the tender attracts strong interest from domestic firms,” said Marcin Wasilewski, Executive Director of Energy at PKN Orlen.After the bidding procedure, technical dialogue and contractor selection process close, a contract for the development of a preliminary concept for the offshore wind farms will be signed, the company said.